Wonka (PG) Relaxed Screening
How did Willy Wonka meet the Oompa Loompas? Where did he come from? How did he open his first chocolate shop? All will be answered in this scrumptious musical origin story this December, after all, it wouldn’t be the holidays without a sweet treat!
Relaxed Screenings are specifically designed for those who would appreciate a less formal cinema environment. Audience members are welcome to leave their seats, make noise and move around as they wish – imagine the opposite of the quiet carriage on a train. Small changes to the light and sound effects will be made to reduce any anxiety. A quiet, sensory room will also be provided for audience members to use if they need a break from the performance. The aim is to retain all the magic of the cinema but in a more relaxed environment.
Who is it for?
Relaxed screenings are open to everyone but may benefit individuals with autism spectrum conditions, learning difficulties or sensory and communication difficulties or those who may benefit from a more relaxed environment. Visual aids for getting around the venue can be provided and a social story is also available to help familiarise audience members with the venue.
How is it different to other performances?
Here are some examples of small changes that may be made and additional facilities provided:
- Doors will open 30 minutes prior to the film starting
- A chill out area will be available from 1 hour prior to the film starting that you can go to at any point if you need a break during the film
- Lights will remain on low throughout the film
- Seating is informal, with tables/chairs and bean bags (if in the Studio Theatre and where possible)
- Audience members will be free to move around or take some time out in our designated chill out room
- There will be an Autism Hour before and after the screening where there will be no music or loud sounds throughout the building.
We create tailored social story especially for our relaxed screenings. You can download it from this page closer to the event. They are designed to help you prepare for your visit. They talk you through arriving, picking up tickets and how the show will work.