The Courtyard Capital Expansion Project
THE COURTYARD IS TRANSFORMING #TransformTheYard
The Courtyard is pleased to announce that we have been awarded a Capital Grant by Arts Council England to invest in the extension and refurbishment of the Arts Centre.
With this funding secured, The Courtyard Hereford will redesign the front of house area, making Box Office more accessible. We’re also adding a shop selling locally-made arts and crafts, and a new multi-purpose meeting room, which can also be used as an additional performance space. The funding will also be used to extend the Café Bar area and first floor dining space to create an outside terrace.
Total cost is estimated at £1.2m. We will undertake the work in summer 2020, our quietest time of year, in order to minimise the inconvenience to our customers. However, we will continue to remain open and aim to carry on business as usual!
Roger Morgan, Chairman of The Courtyard Board, said: “We are very grateful for this funding and for the support that we have received from Herefordshire Council. The Cabinet decisions regarding project management and underwriting the matched funding were very helpful in getting the Arts Council funding. This development of The Courtyard will help secure its future for many years to come.”
1. A new, more accessible Box Office.
2. A multi-purpose room which will be sited at 1st floor level to be used for classes, workshops, performance and to enable us to increase our opportunities for talent development. This will also offer the opportunity to work with other arts organisations to increase our artistic offer and enhance our audience experience.
3. We will re-site the Main Entrance further down the front of the building so it faces the ground floor canyon. This new door will be a double door to provide better access and insulation.
4. A new retail unit will be sited on the ground floor which will provide an opportunity for local artists to sell their work.
5. We will be extending the Café Bar (front of the building) out to the end of the current patio area and create more available space enhancing the dining and bar experience.
6. We will be extending the 1st floor Mezzanine to create more available space on the 1st floor and developing an outside rooftop terrace over the extension to enhance the customer experience.
WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?
Glenn Howells Architects, original architects from The Courtyard’s construction 20 years ago, have been commissioned for the development design. We are excited to release their further plans and artistic impressions of what The Courtyard’s Capital Expansion Project may look like when construction is completed in autumn 2020.
NEW BOX OFFICE, RETAIL AND FIRST FLOOR PERFORMANCE SPACE
Cafe Bar, Mezzanine Extension and Terrace