A Relaxed Performance is specifically designed for those who would appreciate a less formal theatre environment. Audience members are welcome to leave their seats, make noise and move around as they wish – imagine the opposite of the quiet carriage on a train. Small changes to the light and sound effects will be made to reduce any anxiety. A quiet, sensory room will also be provided for audience members to use if they need a break from the performance.
The aim is to retain all the magic of the theatre or cinema experience but in a more relaxed environment.
Who is it for?
The relaxed performance is open to everyone but may benefit individuals with autism spectrum conditions, learning difficulties or sensory and communication difficulties. Visual aids for getting around the venue can be provided and a social story is also available to help familiarise audience members with the venue and performance before the show.
How is it different to other performances?
Here are some examples of small changes that may be made and additional facilities provided:
- Lights over the auditorium will remain on low throughout the performance.
- Some of the effects in the show may be toned down, especially if they involve sudden loud noises or flashes of bright light.
- Audience members will be free to move around during the show.
- There will be audience participation, but individuals will not be picked on at random.
- Additional staff and stewards will be on board to help.
- For our relaxed Pantomime someone will hold up signs during the show to warn about loud noises
- A chill out room is provided if you wish to take a break from the performance
We’ve created a tailored social story especially for our relaxed performance of Cinderella. You can download it from the event page or view it here. This is designed to help you prepare for your visit. It talks you through arriving, picking up tickets and how the show will work. If you have any more questions after reading it please feel free to call Box Office. Keep an eye out here for social stories for other upcoming relaxed performances.